Hey everyone! I’ve got a pretty unique article for you all today. I’ve covered several “positive” articles about cleaning supplies on this blog, but today I wanted to talk about the dark side of cleaning supplies. *cues dangerous theme music* Yup, that’s right, I want to talk about a very devastating cleaning experience I had about 2 years ago.
Cleaning supplies can definitely be some of our best friends. They’re great at killing nasty bacteria, destroying stains, and annihilating those nasty, yucky, putrid, nauseating smells that permeate your bathroom from time to time (don’t lie, you know those smells come every now and then). At the same time, if we’re not careful, they can become our very worst enemies and even fatal.
About 2 years ago, I moved back home with my parents. We lived in a 3 bedroom apartment and it’s the same apartment that I grew up in from the age of 10 to the age of 18. You see, my brothers shared the master bedroom, which was big enough to fit 3 beds. It was the room that I shared with my 2 brothers. When I moved back, I pretty much had the room to myself, so we did some pretty heavy-duty cleaning.
The day I moved back home, we threw away all the old beds, an old television, unused furniture, and bunch of other useless stuff that we never used. The carpet was also a bit dirty, so we decided to vacuum. Now, this was when the moment of devastation happened. Instead of just being content with vacuuming the carpet, I decided to make the floor SUPER CLEAN! For some reason, I felt super motivated to clean that day. It was like I had taken a steroid alternative supplement and got super pumped and motivated to move around and move stuff around. I made the biggest mistake of the week that day and decided to use a bunch of carpet cleaning powder.
The problem is that the carpet in my room wasn’t designed to absorb powder that well. As I was vacuuming the carpet and the powder that I had saturated the carpet with, the powder started flying up in the air. I tried to vacuum more and more of the powder, but eventually the vacuum could only absorb so much of it. After much hustle and bustle, we reached a point where a good portion of the powder had been vacuum. Despite this victory, a noticeable amount of powder still remained on the carpet.
The leftover powder on the carpet and sprinkle of powder that was still flying through the air, was enough to send me into a whirlwind of cough and borderline inability to breathe. My chest felt very heavy and I was coughing left and right. I honestly was very concerned for my safety and my brother’s safety. My brother was able to sleep in the room just fine that night, but I could not. I felt so uncomfortable lying in my room that I had to sleep in the living room that night and the following night as well.
By the third night, the air in my room had, thankfully, cleared. I was able to sleep in my room safely and comfortably from that day on. That day I learned a great lesson. Moving forward, I’m not going to use powdered carpet cleaner in my room. In addition, I will be A LOT more conservative when using cleaners and various chemicals in general. I don’t know about you, but I care about my health and want to live for a long time.
Have you had a similar experience? Let me know!